For ESL students: Tips for persuasive essays.
Sep 12, 2018 Tutoring/Home School 1789 Views
Here are some effective tips for planning to write a Persuasive or argumentative essay.
--Read the topic,
--Think about positives and negatives of the issues in the topic.
--Brainstorm arguments 'for' and 'against'.
--Consider the overall picture/key idea of the topic.
--Make your sentences about ideas.
---Here is a template, like a 'recipe', for planning the paragraphs for paragraphs for a persuasive essay.
BASIC ARGUMENTS: (Expand and adapt to each topic).
POSITIVE ARGUMENTS: (Example topic: Should sport be compulsory in schools?)
(1) Progress is good.
(2) Need to live in the 21st Century.
(3) Same methods lead to same results.
(4) We all need to be responsible.
(5) If we don't change, we might regret it.
(1) What happens next?
(2) It is expensive.
(3) It affects people's freedom, to choose to do what they want.
(4) What is wrong with what we are doing now?
LAST PARAGRAPH (Conclusion):
Consider the topic in relation to its effect on any of these:
(1) Social welfare.
(7) Culture/Religion/or Public Health.
Then restate your persuasive arguments in a concise manner. EDIT!!! Have you punctuated correctly, used shorter sentences, linked your paragraphs, and used vivid vocabulary?