Advantages of Learning English
Nov 18, 2011 English Language Learning (ELL) 4574 Views
While you're learning English as your second language, you should know that there are millions like you trying to understand the complexities of the language, such as: irregular verbs and their applications, the difference between many and much, trying to pronounce the group of consonants TH to sound as natural as possible. You're not alone! Yes, there are more millions people across the world trying to learn English and around 1.5 billion people who already speak the English language.
It is known that most politics and other organizations around the world utilize the English language, including the Olympics, United Nations, UNICEF and many others. The majority of international businesses is conducted in English, and the same language is spoken in various activities performed worldwide with people from different nations handling it.
If it's not already evident, the following points outline the advantages of learning English:
* There is more access to information and knowledge:
- Internet - many of the web pages are edited in English. A great volume of information is accessed in English, and there isn't always a clear translation available in other languages. Through English language you can interact with many people from around the globe, to access your e-mail, chat on message boards and online forums, as well as other online services.
- News - much international news is broadcast in the English language. Examples include names such as CNN, NBC, Fox news, the BBC, and more. These international channels are often more updated with the news than any of the local stations and as such you can gain insight into the daily events across the world.
- Science - almost 90% of the scientific journals are edited in English, and if you want to be updated with the last scientific developments, you should understand why learning English is important. Imagine how beneficial the language would be for you when attending scientific conferences around the world.
* It could boost your career:
- In case you want to make some steps in the business world, then learning English is a great tool in becoming successful. This language is used as a neutral one by different countries when they meet and discus business matters. For example, it is nowadays a common thing for an engineer in Spain to obtain technical assistance in the English language from a Chinese expert.
- For future jobs - if you know English, this can open many doors for you as you can look for jobs. Your resume will definitely stand out if you have English language skills, and other job candidates do not.
For native Spanish speakers that are still learning English, be aware that there are online Spanish to English translator tools that can assist you while you learn. An essential offline tool is a Spanish English dictionary which is great when you're away from a computer.