For ESL students: How to parse English sentences.
Sep 17, 2018 Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (T 3080 Views
Parsing English sentences is a great way to learn about English grammar, and to master practical skills.
Here are some steps to practise parsing.
(1) Find the verbs, determine whether they are Active (Action of Verb) or Passive (Received action of Verb).
(2) Locate auxiliary (or helping) verbs.
(3) Identify tense of verb--(Past, present, or future).
(4) Identify subordinate clauses, and their tense.
(5) Determine the basic elements of each sentence.
(6) Identify subject of sentence--what is the sentence discussing?
(7) What type of sentence is it? Is it a statement, question, exclamation, command (imperative).
Elements of Grammar:
(1) Verbs, auxiliary verbs.
(2) Nouns, (common, proper, abstract, collective).
(3) Adjectives--describe nouns.
(4) Adverbs--qualify verbs,
(5) Conjunctions--joining words. (and, but, nor).
(6) Articles--qualify nouns. (the, that, a, an, this, that).
(7) Pronouns--used in place of nouns/pronouns. (I, you, he/she/it, we, they).
(8) Preposition--Modify nouns. Examples are: to, from, by, at, with.
Here are some sentences to practise parsing.
(a) I must get myself a new pair of shoes.
(b) Get me two pounds of tomatoes.
(c) I get here at 11 am.
(d) I can't get this lift to work.
(e) It's getting dark.
Happy parsing. Learn, practise, master, achieve!