Professional Development Programs for Teachers: An Overview
May 10, 2015 Teacher Training 3393 Views
In today's scenario, continuous training and development form the building blocks of successful teaching, irrespective of a teacher's experience. Therefore, professional development programs for teachers are gaining prevalence across the world. These programs are available in various forms, including teacher workshops, teacher training programs, teacher seminars and so on. However, the main objective is the same empowering teachers with new skills and knowledge in order to ensure optimum learning and development of students.
In India, most of the renowned professional development programs for teachers cover various aspects of teaching. Let's have a look at these aspects.
- Social and emotional skills: It is important to cover social and emotional aspects of teaching during a teacher's training program. Fostering teachers' emotional awareness holds the key to optimizing teacher effectiveness in the classroom. This awareness enables teachers to understand students' emotions in different circumstances and regulate them appropriately. Undoubtedly, managing self-emotions and emotions of pupils is important for influential teaching. In addition, emotion-management techniques go a long way in ensuring effective classroom management.
- Continuous and comprehensive evaluation: Most of the professional development programs for teachers enable teachers to get a better understanding of continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE), including CCE's requirement, structure and its effective implementation in the classroom and its constructivism. Besides, providing in-depth insights into various teaching-learning philosophies, these programs help teachers create a student-centric learning environment in the classroom. When teachers are acquainted with various teaching methods, they can make their teaching styles more innovative as well as effective.
- Scholastic and co-scholastic life skills: Training on scholastic and co-scholastic life skills enables teachers to understand the relevance of these skills to school curriculum. Besides, teachers are guided to leverage these skills to evaluate the development of their pupils. Even more, they can understand how they can use various activities and descriptive indicators for the continuous as well as comprehensive evaluation of their students.
- Communication skills: An influential teacher is always a good communicator. It has been found that teachers with good communication skills are more approachable to students. Such teachers can boost students' confidence and self-esteem. Most importantly, students often consider such teachers a guiding beacon for their career. Therefore, professional development workshops for teachers put emphasis on honing up participants' communication skills.
By attending such workshops, teachers can understand the difference between listening and hearing as well as listening principles. They also get a better understanding of various non-verbal communications, such as tone of voice, facial expression, body language, gesture, to name a few. Empowered with effective communication skills, teachers can be a good observant and more influential.
- Technology-driven teaching approach: Last but not the least; modern technologies have brought a paradigm shift in the teaching approach. The traditional chalk-and-talk teaching has given way to the new-age web-based teaching. The situation calls for the requirement of enabling teachers to use new-age teaching tools in the classroom. No doubt, these professional development programs provide the appropriate platform for teachers to gain expertise in using these tools.