Six Steps to Be a Successful Teacher
Sep 17, 2012 Teacher Training 2279 Views
The challenge to deal with students well is one of the reasons why becoming a teacher is never boring If you're an elementary school teacher, you're dealing with children that prefer playing games to studying subjects. If you're teaching at high school, it's very hard to deal with children in puberty periods. Even, if you're a lecturer, you face more challenges too because college students often think that they're already an adult and feel they're right most of the time.
Thus, knowing the basic steps to be a successful teacher is very important. As a teacher, we feel sad when one of our students failed to pass the GCE Exam, especially when we know that the student was able to pass it. But, he didn't get any encouragements from their parents well. Because you're acting as their parents at school, implementing the following steps will help you to be a good teacher:
- Inform the students about the rules that must be followed when they attend your class at the first meeting, like: raising hand before asking any questions, turning their mobile phone off, coming on time, wearing formal suit, etc. It's very important to build a positive learning condition since the first meeting.
- Set the class' goals to be achieved at the end of the semester or year, such as: 100% graduation rate, no failed students in the class, etc. Also, include the steps should be done by both students and you as teacher to achieve the goal so none of you use different ways to the end.
- Spend more time with them. Knowing your students characteristics is useful in determining how you should deliver the material. If there's a problem among the students, you can be the mediator to solve it because at school you act as their parent. By doing so, you will know directly when there's a student who have problem at home too.
- Listen to them. Although you're older, it's not a guarantee that you're wiser than them. We have to continue learning and the best resources are yours and your closed friends' experiences. You should open yourself to critics that are useful to make you be a better teacher.
- Stick to your commitments. During the semester or year, there will be a lot of challenges faced by your students and you. However, you should stick to your rules given in the beginning of the class and be a role model to your students. If you include giving extra lessons once a week as part of way to achieve the goal, don't stop in the middle of the semester just because you're lazy and bored of doing it.
- Give award to your students. Once they succeed to reach the goal, you should give them presents. You can treat them pizza together, have one night camping on the beach, watch movies together, etc. Just have fun with them and I'm sure that your class will be missed very much and memorable in their mind till their old ages.
It might be hard to do at the first time you try. There will be a lot of problems that make you forget your goals and steps to be a successful teacher. You should remind yourself all the time to not easily get disturbed by other unimportant things, like jealous friends, naughty students, ignorant parents, etc. Do your best at your current job and let the students memorize you as the best teacher they have ever had!