Study Abroad Tips & Advice
Feb 13, 2010 Study Abroad 2031 Views
It's difficult to compare the rewards of studying abroad with anything else. It can change your perspective from being local to global and your attitudes to international. Not only that but you will likely gain memories and friendships to last a lifetime.
Interestingly though, one of the biggest falsehoods for people deciding not to study abroad, is that they believe it would be too expensive and difficult. Overseas students who do decide to study abroad however are often very surprised at how easy it was to organize with the assistance of an education agent and how affordable it can be.
The following information should be used only as a guideline only but will likely provide some good tips and advice of prospective overseas students looking to study abroad. It is recommended however that students see a qualified education agent to ensure they receive up-to-date advice tailored to their specific needs and circumstances.
Why study abroad?
• Language acquisition - The world market place is shrinking and many companies now look for or require staff that can speak a second language. For students in Thailand or Asia where English is a second language being able to speak English can be a significant advantage in the competitive labor market. Not only is being able to speak a second language such as English important from a career perspective, but it is also invaluable from a real world perspective.
• Practical experience - Study coupled can be an ideal way to gain some real world experience. Many students are surprised to find out that in many countries such as Australia they are free to work and gain an income while studying (currently 20 hours per week with a student visa). When this is factored into the cost of studying abroad it can significantly reduce the expense and studying and working overseas can be very affordable.
• Career Advancement- As mentioned above international experience is much sort after by many employers as a critical asset for prospective employees. Study abroad shows that you are resourceful, adventurous, internationally minded, and diverse. In addition, in many countries such as Thailand it is extremely competitive and expensive to gain selection to a highly respected university. By not gaining selection to a top university however you are limiting your career potential. Study abroad is another option however which will allow you to studying overseas in a country such as Australia and gain English language skills and once completed will see you just as attractive or more so to potential employers not only in Thailand but around the world.
• Experience of a lifetime - In a couple years you may forget a lot of what you have studied in high school and university but if you study abroad you will never forget the friends you made or the incredible experiences you shared.
How do I find the right Education Agent for me?
The first step is organizing study abroad is to find a professional Education Agent you can trust. There are many education agents and this task is not as easy as it sounds, however here are a few tips that will help you select the right agent for you.
1) Look for an education agent that are members of peak body organizations in not only your home country but also the country you intend to study. By doing this you can be more confident the agent you have selected is professional and trustworthy. For example, students from Thailand wishing to study in Australia should select an agent registered with the Thai International Education Consultants Association (TIECA) in Thailand and the Qualified Education Agent Counsellor Database (QEACP) in the destination country Australia.
2) Prospective international students should also look for education agents which have registered business' and offices in both their home country and the destination country. In the example used above this would require the agent to have a fixed business address and offices in both Thailand and Australia. By having an office in your home country it will be far easier to organise the necessary paperwork including visas and school enrolment. And by having an office in the country you intend to study, for example Australia, it will be easier for you to access study support services if you have any problems or require assistance while studying abroad. Such student assistance should be provided to students free of charge by education agents.
3) When looking for a good education agent students should also ensure that the agent they select provides accurate advice regarding educational institutions and does not simply refer you to schools or universities which they receive the largest commission from. Education agents should work with you the student and discuss your specific study needs before tailoring a study program to your needs.
For students from Thailand The Oak International Education meets all the above criteria and is a trusted organization helping students study abroad. We have offices in Bangkok and Ayutthaya Thailand, as well as in Sydney Australia. We are members of TIECA and QEACP and can organise all your study needs, including visa applications, health insurance, school enrolments and ongoing free student support in Australia. Contact The Oak International Education and Training Services today for a free no obligation discussion about study abroad options available to you.