Obstacles to Learning English
Nov 23, 2011 English Language Learning (ELL) 2149 Views
English is considered by many foreigners one of the most difficult languages to learn. The following list displays the obstacles that prevent some people from learning English:
* Motivational hindrances - these can come as a result of many factors present in the life of a person, such as jobs, school conditions, activities that take too much time, as well as lacking an appropriate support system. Many students also have low self esteem and many times you can hear them saying to themselves: "this is too difficult", "I can not learn", "I am wasting my time" and the most frequent one "I am too old to learn."
* Organization hindrances - these relate to the inadequate teaching strategies and educational materials. The one who wants to learn English might not know what is most needed to properly study English language.
* Having high expectations - there are many learners who attend an English learning course hoping to pick up the language immediately. As a result, they become easily frustrated and start losing their interest.
* Ways of learning - many learners do not think of benefiting from innovative ways that are available for learning English, such as electronic devices allowing them to learn anytime and at any place they might be. Not to mention that there are also internet chat rooms that enable English students to meet and chat with each other.
* Pronunciation - some English learners consider that in many situations English language is difficult to pronounce, depending as well on the way it is used. For example, there are some letters that are not heard and letters that should be pronounced differently, depending on the context. These variations of pronunciation can be frustrating in the process of learning English.
* The notions of grammar - nouns, adverbs, adjectives can be confusing to the English learner because there is no consistency when compared to other languages. The rules in English grammar are sometimes hard to be outlined and as a result can take a lot of time to accurately master.
* The tenses of the verbs - some English language verbs are seen as very difficult to learn, such as it is with the irregular verb ring - rang - rung.
* The English slang - slang it has become so widely used that is has become a part of the regular English phrases. Thus the English learner is forced to comprehend the existing jargon that is rather complicated. An example of English slang is the 'brain wash' phrase... taken literally, this phrase would confuse nearly anyone!
Due to the fact that English language has become more and more spoken across the world, learning English is also seen as a very beneficial activity for the personal and social life of an individual.
For native Spanish speakers that are still learning English, be aware that there are online English to Spanish tools that can assist you while you learn. If you need a tool for when you're on the go, Spanish translation apps are great on smartphones.