Language Learning Methods
Jan 9, 2011 English Language Learning (ELL) 2998 Views
Deciding to learn Chinese can be the most rewarding decision you have ever made. Due to the growth of Chinese economy and political power many people predict that Chinese language will be the language of the future. Knowing Mandarin Chinese will benefit your professional carrier and life. Of course to native English speakers Chinese appears as one of the most exotic language. Still, once you have the determination and knowledge of the right techniques you will succeed.There are several methods that have been proven useful for all language learners.
1. Mnemonic methods.
Remembering new vocabulary can be very difficult, however once you associate the foreign word with an English word that share similar sound and form a mental image of the new word; the chances of remembering the foreign word are increasing tremendously.
The link and story method. Probably many of you experienced difficulties to remember a list of words. But how many of you tried to build a story with the new words in it. Creating a story with the words you are trying to remember helps to make the process of memorizing more natural and efficient.
The Roman room system. This is one of the oldest mnemonic methods that is combining linking and pegging. This method uses the fact that basic vocabulary of a new language can be usually found in a familiar environment. For example if we want to remember a Chinese word for table, you can imagine your family sitting together and having dinner. Placing the new words in familiar surroundings helps everyone to make an association faster.
2. Make you own flash cards. Creating your own set of flashcards cannot only help you to go over the vocabulary you are trying to learn, but the physical act of writing reinforces words into your memory. Code the cards according to parts of speech: verbs, noun, adjective, adverb etc.
3. Play online games; there are many online tools that are designed to help you to learn a foreign language faster. For Chinese language learners I will strongly recommend a tone master, simple game that helps you to recognize the four tones used in Mandarin Chinese.
4. Label your home, apartment. This simple and effective technique involves creating vocabulary cards and placing them on the corresponding objects. For example write sofa in Chinese and place the card on a sofa. This method almost forces you to remember the words, because they become a part of your natural environment.
5. Immerse in the language, listen to Chinese radio, Chinese music, watch Chinese movies, even if you want be able recognize a word, this methods helps you to familiarize with the sounds, the melody of the language you are trying to acquire.
6. Real life practice, nothing speeds up the learning process more than practicing in a real life situation. This not only allows you to use the vocabulary that you have already learned but also brings you the feeling of accomplishment. Refer to Internet, search for sites that offer language exchange. Find a partner who is studying your native language and set up a language session. Have fun practicing and making new friends.