10 Amazing Hacks for English Learners
Nov 19, 2018 English as a Foreign Language (EFL) 170 Views
10 Amazing Hacks for English Learners
It is estimated that there are over a billion English speakers in the world, including native speakers, people for whom English is a secondary official language and those who speak English as a foreign language. These days, it is considered to be a lingua franca whether we talk about business, tourism or popular culture. It is self-understood that a successful person can communicate in English and does it fluently.
Tips for Mastering the Language
We will share our pieces of advice on how to learn English and get the desired results.
- Get a private tutor, preferably a native speaker. With the Internet, you can find one online easily. You can even hire a tutor. Be that English, Spanish or even Japanese tutor, you can find one in no time at all thanks to tutoring platforms available out there.
- Practice daily. Even if you can find only 30 minutes a day for your practice, that totals up to over 180 hours per year. And that is enough to reach a new language level, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Listen to podcasts. There is a wide choice of them for any level of proficiency.
- Get the movie you have watched a few times and know well and watch it in English. You can view it with the subtitles in English or in your native language. You already know what the film is all about, so this time, try to concentrate on what the actors say and how they speak.
- Read books. Choose a book that corresponds to your level of knowledge, though. Otherwise you might become discouraged.
- If you struggle with memorizing new words, write them down on a card, sign objects in your flat or download flash cards that will help you learn the unknown words.
- Analyze the lyrics of your favorite song. Translate it to understand the meaning and grammar structures.
- Set your social media network pages such as Facebook in English. If you are a gamer – choose English in a game menu.
- Learn new words in the context. Do not memorize words separately as it will be hard for you to use them.
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes. No one knows a foreign language perfectly, so use English since you have put so much effort into learning it.
Why is Learning Not Easy?
Are you one of those who wants to master the English language? Like many others, you might find learning a daunting experience and struggle to combine words into sentences. Do not be frustrated!
Everybody goes through that stage when they start learning a new language. Think of all the dissimilarities between your native language and English. Apart from the different vocabulary, English most likely has sounds that do not exist in your mother tongue and the grammar that makes you feel all at sea. It is an analytical language. This means there are no genders, cases and hardly any inflections compared to other languages. But it does not make it easier. On the other hand, the word order is very important, and a preposition changes completely a meaning of a verb. For example, every beginner knows that word “take”. But if a plane or a bird takes off, it begins to fly. In case you take after your father, that means you have a similar appearance or character to your father. If you take on a new project, that means you are responsible for its completion. Nearly every common verb in English has many meanings. That is why mastering English is time-consuming and requires a great bulk of work. But since so many people have learnt the language, it is doable.
If you are determined to learn English and follow our advice, you will see that with time it will get easier than you have thought. There is no need to swot to become an English speaker. Regular practice, lessons with a native speaker, original audios, books and consistency are keys to success. Make use of every opportunity where you can speak the language. Whether at school, in a business meeting or on vacation abroad, do not be shy; try to communicate English, as that is the only way you can learn the language.