What Is the Scope and Existing Trend of E-Learning?
Jan 8, 2016 E-Learning/CALL 1460 Views
With the increasing accessibility to Internet among the masses, online education has been embraced by numerous educational institutions, schools and colleges worldwide. If we talk about intervention of electronic learning in a learner's formative years of education, then K12 learning services cater to learning requirements of students at school level.
What makes e-learning a success? Well, online learning explores a dozens of e-learning technologies like electronic books, simulations, pod casting, wikis, blogs etc. How this aspect of employing an array of online technologies into learning enhances its scope? Let's find out what facts and figures have to say regarding existing trends and scope of e-learning.
A study of the existing trend in e-learning
A recent survey in United States revealed that more than 2.35 million students enrolled themselves for various online programs. The survey also concluded that online education is becoming an integral part of many educational institutions. Given to the rapid growth and demand of myriad online programs, it has become imperative for secondary and post-secondary institutes to provide quality online education.
The survey also focused to gauge the academic excellence rate of online education in comparison with traditional classroom scenario. The results came out to be staggering, wherein the higher success rate was into online education's account. Given to its economic reason ability and reach across the demographic platforms, the exposure and quality of knowledge imparted by online programs is rich and wholesome.
Pedagogy and technology used in e-learning
Incorporating effective pedagogy strategies is a must for online education to make sure its stability. For instance, a Delphi study of experts in instructional technology concluded that content designed from constructivist principles for schools should largely cover following aspects-
- It should be interactive, inviting inputs from both teachers and students
- Should have scope for discussions
- Should have ideal blend of both practical and theoretical approaches
- Should employ effective graphic-visual interface for better understanding
- The content should be collaborative and not restrictive, encompassing use of vast online information available
- Should elicit critical refection of learner and decrease dependence over teacher's limited perspective
- Employ effective use of graphics, games and quizzes for inducing an inquisitive learning among kids
Emerging technology: an auxiliary to e-learning
Development and proliferation of internet technologies is like to provide auxiliary online education through use of multimedia and interactive simulations in your website. A study revealed that in next five years several emerging technologies for online education would contribute to its enormous growth.
The future of online education lies in proliferation of these aspects-
- K-12 e-learning content development in compliance with the school syllabi to ensure standardization of knowledge at all levels.
- Break through infrastructural scarcity, lack of schools and universities
- Channelize enormous demand of learners worldwide
- To take cognizance of assistive technologies compatibility like tablets, mobiles and comparatively cheaper devices
- Emphasis on blended interaction: a balance between online(face-to-face) and offline learning
- Diminishing gap between virtual and real world: including timely evaluations, examinations to ensure learning is no less from a realistic experience
We can conclude that the scope of development of e-learning is emerging and its ongoing trend has brought a revolution in the field of education.