Sep 12, 2018
Tutoring/Home School 1277 Views
Here are some effective tips for planning to write a Persuasive or argumentative essay.
--Read the topic,
--Think about positives and negatives of the issues in the topic.
--Brainstorm arguments 'for' and 'against'.
--Consider the overall picture/key idea of the topic.
--Make your sentences about ideas.
---Here is a template, like a 'recipe', for planning the paragraphs for paragraphs for a persuasive essay.
BASIC ARGUMENTS: (Expand and adapt to each topic).
POSITIVE ARGUMENTS: (Example topic: Should sport be compulsory in schools?)
(1) Progress is good.
(2) Need to live in the 21st Century.
(3) Same methods lead to same results.
(4) We all need to be responsible.
(5) If we don't change, we might regret it.
(1) What happens next?
(2) It is expensive.
(3) It affects people's freedom, to choose to do what they want.
(4) What is wrong with what we are doing now?
LAST PARAGRAPH (Conclusion):
Consider the topic in relation to its effect on any of these:
(1) Social ...
Sep 13, 2018
Study Skills 1029 Views
~~Learning a language involves learning new words. The more words you know the more you will understand and the better you will be able to communicate.
It is said that in order to “get by” in a foreign language you need a vocabulary of at least 120 words.
Read: The more words you are exposed to the better vocabulary you will have. When you read and see words you don’t know first try to guess the meaning from the sentence/story and then look the word up. Read and listen to things you are interested in. There are lots of graded/guided readers available and even manga/comics.
Play with words: Do puzzles, crosswords, play scrabble etc. Many of these are available online.
Themes: Focus on a single theme per week, the mind naturally links connected words together.
Use context: Research shows that the vast majority of words are learned from context. Pay attention to how words are used, the sentences etc.
Review: When you learn new words recycle them (use them again and again) this ...
Parsing English sentences is a great way to learn about English grammar, and to master practical skills.
Here are some steps to practise parsing.
(1) Find the verbs, determine whether they are Active (Action of Verb) or Passive (Received action of Verb).
(2) Locate auxiliary (or helping) verbs.
(3) Identify tense of verb--(Past, present, or future).
(4) Identify subordinate clauses, and their tense.
(5) Determine the basic elements of each sentence.
(6) Identify subject of sentence--what is the sentence discussing?
(7) What type of sentence is it? Is it a statement, question, exclamation, command (imperative).
Elements of Grammar:
(1) Verbs, auxiliary verbs.
(2) Nouns, (common, proper, abstract, collective).
(3) Adjectives--describe nouns.
(4) Adverbs--qualify verbs,
(5) Conjunctions--joining words. (and, but, nor).
(6) Articles--qualify nouns. (the, that, a, an, this, that).
(7) Pronouns--used in place of nouns/pronouns. (I, you, he/she/it, we, they).
(8) Preposition--Modify nouns. ...
When we are ESL educators, we also become mentors to our students of any age from many lands. This is a two-way process which benefits both the students and mentors. We can create an environment and community where we collaborate to improve English skills, and knowledge of a new land and culture.
As the ESL students are learning, we, as their mentors, can learn from them. We can determine what our ESL students can do, not what they cannot do. Our students can seek what we offer, to share our experiences of the paths we have travelled.
There are many benefits for the mentors of ESL students, such as immense job satisfaction, when mastery of English is accomplished. We can build bridges in our rapport with our ESL students, by providing feedback and communication skills. This creates a beneficial effect, by investing in the future of our classes, and in the wider community.
As we reflect on our lessons in ESL, we can aspire to improve our perspectives, and attaining of objectives, to ...
Sep 26, 2018
Other 1346 Views
Playschool is the first steps of the child towards his or her future. It is an essential part of a child's early education. Preschool is supposed to be the stepping stone for a child's foundation. Preschool provides a foundation for learning both socially and academically that will help your child succeed in elementary school.
Playschool gives a child exposure to the world and helps him understand the morals and lessons which he/she carries with themselves in the future.
Benefits of Preschool in a child’s life-
Growth in a child- Playschool helps a child grow into a better human and gives the child’s the confidence he needs for his future to tackle the world in front of him or her. It's an opportunity for a child to learn and understand things and follow instructions given to him/her.
Improved attention spans- Children are curious and interested in learning new things. Quality education is essential for a child. Something new and exciting always grabs the attention of the little ...